Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday, July 24, reflection

I'm very interested to hear the Google guy (is that what the G stands for?).   When Todd shared on Monday that Google's fundamental business model is to be clean, easy to use and obvious (or words to that effect) I was surprised.  In my few forays into using my Gmail account, I struggle to do the most common tasks.  I can't find the buttons I need, can't figure out how to access/import contacts from another application and find the stacked email format annoying but can't figure out how to make it stop happening.  I can never remember how to sign into or use Google Docs and the whole Drive concept has gotten well past me.  Shhhh.  [Lower the lights] The presentation is about to begin...my thoughts to follow.

1.  Each Google page is a window into the internet.

2.  Why does my Gmail inbox now look different, with tabs across the top for Primary, Social, Promotions? What if I don't like the tabs Google has imposed on me?  How can I get rid of them?  And who decides under which tab an individual email would go?  Notification of comments on my blog for this class are appearing under Social.

3.  Google Scholar.  The cite function is terrific.  It could be a learning tool in and of itself in how/when to cite.

4.  Translate.  We've used this a lot.  We can use it more, in translating our psych. reports.  I wonder and will explore how it works on non-narrative documents like report cards.

5.  Custom Search.  Yay!   Finally a way to allow students who have misused the internet to continue to engage in academic work that requires them to go online.

6.  There are as many physically different brains in the world as there are people.

7.  Gamers persevere and cooperate.  These skills can be put to work solving real world problems.

8.  Teachers as curators.  My teachers are going to love that!

9.  Student Source.  Something any district can use?

I may just take G. up on his offer for a teacher to come visit Raleigh Hills K-8.

8 comments:

  1. I know G would love for you to come...Student Source is there for the taking. Go for it. I'll put a link next to G's on the class page. Love your insights and skepticisms. They show you as a balanced thinker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also appreciate your skepticism. I think Google does make things easier and listens to their base, but I can't help thinking about the "for profit" piece. I went home to poke around the student source page and it really is great! I am going to show my staff the possibilities for their students this fall. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gamer & curator that is me :-) I always find it amazing how some of the entrenched staff will knock students for their engagement with class because the students are on their phone or playing games. What makes my case even better is those same staff members will pull out their cellphone, send personal email or play a game (crush, words, ect).

    How do we get educators to accept technology AND change their teaching practices to help the new generation of digital learners??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margaret,
    That's cool that you are already using Google Translate. I know it's something I will be using from now on. So many amazing tools yesterday. I know i was babbling in the car about it all the way home to my wife. Now i just need to make sure that I implement the tools properly and appropriately.
    Great comments! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ai would love to go visit G and his school too. Yesterday was so jam packed with learning, my head is still spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about visiting G's school. I think our tech person would get a lot out of it.
    I always tired to incorporate games into my classroom instruction, but I never thought about using the computer to do it. What a great use of that resource!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you summarized your learning for the day. Like Jarred I am concerned about my implementation. I have changed my presentation for Friday to support my effort to sustain my incorporation and application of this learning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know when you guys want to come out! Consider yourselves invited!

    ReplyDelete